... the smell of fall. Have you ever smelled fall?
This morning after my shower as I reentered my bedroom I was surrounded by the aroma of fall. Something about it being crisp and cool made me think of Halloween. I was instantly filled from head to toe with excitement.
Fall is my favorite time of year.
The summer heat is graciously exiting New England and making way for the Turning leaves and pumpkin pie. Seeing as how I've never actually experienced a full fall before I imagine this year will be my favorite one of all. Seasons are so cool.
As a kid we always celebrated Halloween. I use the word "celebrated" loosely. We wore costumes and went trick or treating, basically. One year my parents, for some reason, didn't want to take us out door to door. I believe there had been some poison candy scare and my Mom was worried, so instead they were our only door to knock. My Dad took us all outside and down the sidewalk in our costumes- we walked up to the door, rang the bell, and waited. Mom came to the door and exclaimed how cool and scary we all looked as if we were strangers. Dad was escorting us, of course, and urged us to tell the lady "trick or treat!" We yelled out to her and she presented each of us with a big bucket full of sweet treats! Then she said goodbye and closed the door. ha. We all went inside and poured the candy all over the floor to find our favorites. It was the best Halloween and we didn't even leave the house.
My other treasured part of fall is November. Sarah, my Grandma Tague, and my Mom all celebrate a birthday the week of Thanksgiving. Each year they would head out on a birthday weekend shopping trip. Basically they would make a day trip to a big outlet mall or other shopping center and spend the day together. I was so envious of this special day Sarah had each year with Grandma and Mom. Because of this tradition Sarah always knew what most of our Christmas presents were. :) The week of Thanksgiving would arrive and Mom would bake pumpkin pie (my favorite) and homemade rolls for our big dinner. The day of we would go to Grandma & Grandpa Tague's house at 4:00pm to eat. Some years ago Adam ushered us toward a new tradition of deep frying our turkey. Oh boy! Believe it or not this is really wonderful! :) Thanksgiving dinner has always been my favorite meal all year.
Thanksgiving dinner is also when we begin the great discussion about what cookies Mom will be making this Christmas. Each year she made dozens and dozens of different kinds of cookies, fudge, and candies. They were kept boxed up until Christmas Day when she would display them on beautiful plates and trays for the entire day. These cookies were reserved for Christmas baking only, so each one was a favorite. Often she would retrieve the boxes on Christmas Day and at least a half dozen from each box would be missing. :)
This fall I'm going to go apple picking with friends and bake something delightful with fresh apples! I'm going to witness the trees turn their leaves with an array of beautiful colors for the first time in my life. I get to stand in the wind and feel the winter entering the region, another first. I am so excited to walk through the next season in Boston.
As nature turns seasons so will my life. I begin my graduate program Sept. 11th. I still have to repeat to myself weekly that I will have a master's degree. It is so hard to believe. I'm excited about meeting more people and finding my voice in writing. I'm excited about being a student and engaging my brain again!
The summer buzz is wearing off and I'm feeling the relaxed vibe of fall settling in my bones.
1 comment:
This was a beautiful post. I've been thinking alot about the holidays too and trying to scrounge up some memories. Thanks for the note you sent me. I received it today! Hope your week is starting off well. Talk to you soon
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...