8.12.2007

Sunday in America

I am listening to the African worship cd that Nicole bought at the Joburg airport. This music is so rich and full - I love it!

I walked through the morning in a fog. Many wonderful friends greeted me and the entire SA team as rejoined them in worship today. Most of the group met outside on the sidewalk (by chance) realizing that we were all eager to see one another. We sat as a group during the service. There is something incredible that happened between us- we all experienced this life changing thing together. Logan, Richie, Andy, Mike, Jen (& Hunter, Chase, Emma), Nicole, Leslie & John will forever be connected to me through these 8 days in South Africa serving the people of Soshanguve. I must say I am overwhelmingly grateful for their friendships and overjoyed that they are the ones God selected to take this trip alongside me.

I had a bit of a fight with my computer/camera yesterday. I am working hard to get pictures up for those of you who are dying to see the sights of South Africa! I ran into a glitch because my computer didn't notify me that it was out of memory, so it only uploaded a portion of my photos. Not double checking that they were all uploaded (assuming they were) I deleted my SD card. A few hours later I realized it had cut off a large part of my collection. Yes, I cried. Thanks be to God that I had lent my camera to Logan midway through the week and he filled the card- because of that I uploaded all my contents onto Mike's computer, so only the final day of our time in SA was lost. Many others had pictures, so as soon as I get a good album together I will post the link to them.

I was explaining to a friend this morning that I'm not sure I can access the part of me that needs to process what I just encountered. I think if I sit still and am honest I am just really sad. It is a deep sorrow for the world, really. Realizing that most of the world lives similarly to what I witnessed in Soshanguve is devastating to me. I long to return to South Africa and believe God will find a way.

Oh, if you could have seen these children! They were so eager to be noticed. A simple balloon brought life to their eyes and laughter to their lips. They waited in line with grins on their faces as Andy and I blew up balloons as quickly as possible. One small girl walked away and a moment later I saw her blowing on the balloon in the spot where it ties closed- as she had seen us doing. She had no idea what it was or why we had blown on it like that.

I had no idea when I bought these simple things that the children would react so strongly. The first day we gave them a sticker that was bright yellow, puffy and displayed a smiley face. They stuck them on their faces and in many of the pictures that day the children have a yellow spot on their cheeks. After the balloon day we brought face paint and Nicole & Mike painted the children's faces with simple moons, stars, flowers and the like. The children mobbed the painters to get anything painted on their cheek. Again, so overjoyed at the simple gesture of painting a moon on their face.

The reality that those same children, clearly childlike through and through, would return home to be the head of their household crushes me. They would go home to sleep on a concrete floor with maybe one blanekt and wait until morning when they can dress themselves and their siblings and head back to school. The meals they receive are at school and now at Pfunekani (Phoo-Naa-Ga-Nee).
Numerous times we ran out of the items that created a hearty sandwich, so we simply made these children margarine or jam sandwiches. We would spread whatever was available between two slices of bread and the children would inhale them. A margarine sandwich. Never in my life...

I can not bear the thought of these children living alone and caring for themselves. I don't know what to do with the images of makeshift homes that provide little protection from thieves, rapists and murderers... let alone protection from a simple rain storm.

Lord have mercy! Father God, I pray, feed your children. Feed them and protect them. Please, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...