8.05.2007

Sundays in South Africa

Sunday brings us worship for our King in South Africa!

Yesterday we travelled two hours to a game park and explored for four. It was incredible! I can't wait for you to see the photos. There were a lot of zebras and buffalo out for us to see. We didn't see any cats as they only come out at night. It was a surreal experience with the backdrop of the South Africa landscape-- mountains and mountains!

This morning we went to Soshanguve for church. I have never been in the presence of God quite like that before. I cried most of the service. :) The locals sang every chance they got... this wasn't just a hymn, though.. they were cries to the Lord. They danced in the aisles and lifted their hands in praise and desperation. The children all stayed in the service and were remarkably well behaved. One small boy, an adopted orphan of the Pastor, sat in front of me. He was probably about 7 or 8 years old. At first he, just like the other children, wanted to just simply stare at me. I smiled and then he reached through the chair and touched my shoe. (I had my legs crossed.) A minute later he turned around and played for a moment with the tiny bow on my shoe. I leaned forward and asked his name... I couldn't hear for the music, so he wrote it out on my journal. Shane. He is the most beautiful boy. Toward the end of the service I had put a piece of gum in my mouth and he turned around and said, "Bubblegum?" with the cutest grin. I said yes, it was gum. The next time he turned around I had a piece for him in my hand. He took it- turned back to the front and put it in his mouth. Right before the closing prayer he turned around shyly and smiled saying, "Thank you." SO SWEET!!!!!!! It completely melted me.

All the children in the church surrounded us after the service. We talked to all of them and I ended up giving many of them a piece of gum. They were so happy to be in our presence - even the adults and teens thanked us for coming. Later I found out that Shane was an orphan adopted by the pastor and that one of the six of them is HIV positive. It completely broke my heart- these children are so full of life- so beautiful- and very very funny! As I looked around the sanctuary I made eye contact with each child looking my way... I would hold their eyes in mine and smile. It was the most precious thing to watch even the toughest ones fight to keep from cracking a smile in return. They all smiled back. The split second when they realized I was smiling at them was something I hope to never forget... it was the most innocent and gentle expression.

I want to take these kids home with me! ...and I knew this would happen. ha

This week I'll be working with the orphans coming for meals everyday from 2-4pm. I will go early to cook and then wait for them. I'm at the mall, again, to find some beads and other fun things (like gum!) to give them while we visit all week. Another group is going out to do the home healthcare ... please please pray for them as they will be helping to clean and cook for people who are very much on the brink of death. Pray that Logan, Leslie, John, Mike, Richie, Nicole & Andy would be able to share boldly the love of Christ with these sick and abandoned souls. Pray for all of us as we'll be spending time with the orphans in the afternoon. 48 orphans coming from all over the township to eat one last meal for the day so that they won't be so hungry all night.

I can not believe I am here doing this... seeing this... being with these people. It is unbelievable. I am so thankful God provided a way. I can say without a doubt I love South Africa! Nikki Cosh, a friend from Arkansas, warned me it would get into my blood and she was so right. Returning here feels like an absolute.

I love you all! Thank you so much for your uplifting emails! Thank you for praying for me... and all of us. The people of Soshanguve, New Covenant Baptist Church and our missionary friend, Dana are all experiencing the fruit of your prayers this week.

peace to you,
e

1 comment:

Jill said...

It sounds like you are having an amazing time!!! I'm so happy for you!

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...