
This week I am dog-sitting for Christian (Emily's new husband). He has this huge black dog named Ringo - he's rather cute and very shiny. :) (see photo - Ringo on left, Phoebe on right)
Anyway, Ringo and I aren't as close as I am with Phoebe (Em's dog). Yesterday afternoon we went to the park to throw the ball and Ringo went nuts over this disc toy that was left by someone else. Another dog owner was out there and she approached calling Ringo by name... here's where I get familiar with the dog-owner-neighborhood-club. I knew that Emily knew the names of some of the dogs near Atherton, but I had noooo idea how deep this dog-club goes. The owner of Daisy asked, "Where's the big guy?" -- meaning Christian. Daisy's owner was much much better at throwing the disc than I, so after about six throws Ringo stopped bringing it back to me. ha - smart dog. Eventually he got ticked at Daisy and they wrestled a bit until Daisy shrieked leading us to believe Ringo nipped her. I don't think he did, but she got her owner's attention. I was horrified because I didn't know they were playing, so I thought I should take Ringo home since he clearly can't behave around the ladies.
This morning we went out in the rain. I was trying to carry an umbrella, Ringo's leash, this ball throwing gadget, poop bags and my keys. I don't know what I was thinking trying to manage the umbrella. Anyway, we got to the field and Ringo ran over to some other black dog and started barking like a fool. The other owner had a baby in a stroller and again I was feeling totally freaked that Ringo was going to attack or something. I finally got him back to me on the leash and we headed home. (don't worry he got a good run in before he acted a fool). Tonight I was excited to get to the park because nobody was there- just me and Ringo. Finally, I could throw the ball endlessly. Another owner approached the fence with his dog and Ringo took off toward the fence opening and left the field! I was calling after him, but he wasn't obeying or listening. Finally the guy was far enough away that Ringo wasn't interested in his dog anymore, but I was - again!- flustered. I threw the ball a few more times and then we came home. I just kept saying, "If you act like that we're going home." -- I don't think Ringo was phased by my threats.
So, tonight Kristen tells me that she doesn't think I dislike dogs as much as I say I do and that she's also not convinced that I'm as scared as I say I am... I will admit my fears have been waning since getting to know Phoebe, but the truth remains that I don't really trust dogs. Here's my dog story:
I was in the fifth grade hanging out at my best friend's house (Kelly). She lived two houses down and we spent everyday together. Kelly had this little dog named Bouncer - he was some kind of smallish brown curly haired dog (not a poodle). Anyway, one evening I was watching tv with Kelly and her five siblings and the doorbell rang. I jumped up because I knew it would be my sister telling me it was time to come home for dinner. As I stood up Bouncer got confused, thought I was a stranger and jumped up and bit me in the stomach. Becca was yelling at the door and I was crying- total chaos. I can remember Ronnie (Kelly's Mom) chasing Bouncer around the kitchen with a saucepan hitting him on the head yelling, "You stupid dog!" I walked home and was taken to some kind of emergency medical clinic where I got stitches and a tetanus shot. The bite was right over my cute little white birthmark shaped like a heart (not kidding) and was about the size of half a dollar bill. Turns out Bouncer's rabies shots had lapsed and animal control put him in quarantine for 10 days at the end it was determined that he was a nuisance and they put him down. Suzanne, Kelly's sister, has NEVER let me live this down. It was pretty traumatic and since then I've never believed that a dog could always know you and not react in confusion like that. Well, except Phoebe. :)
So Ringo is pretty cute and he sits in this weird chair all the time looking out the window. He falls asleep with his paws hanging on the arm of the chair like he's daydreaming and he generally gets on his bed when you tell him to. I do like him, but he's big and he doesn't listen to me at the park. Right now he looks harmless in his chair...
I think I'm just not a pet person. I want to be so badly, but even today I was thinking, "Man, this is crazy work to get up so stinkin' early and come straight home from work so your dog can be let out and run around." Then that led me to the thought that maybe I'd be just as selfish as a parent. I know pets and kids are very different, and I have a feeling some of my mom readers are annoyed by this link in my brain. I've always said that someday when I'm married if my husband loves dogs, knows how to train one and doesn't mind picking up the poop I'd love to have one around the house. :) I guess I can negotiate on the picking up the poop, but I don't have a clue how to train a dog.
Okay, this is totally random. I've just been thinking about these dogs for the last few days - they are pretty cool animals. Phoebe was really happy to see me tonight when I stopped by Atherton and Ringo was so excited when I got home from work I thought he'd knock me over or bump me against the wall.
I guess Kristen is right- I do like dogs a little more than I say I do... and I'm not as scared as I once was... but I still think people should question me if I call and say, "I'm thinking of getting a dog!"
3 comments:
Now that is HILARIOUS!! I never thought I was much of a dog person until I got Max. Now I just think I'm not keen on other people's dogs. HA! I think that's how I will be with my own children. And the same for you! (Although you actually really love other people's children, so you are a step ahead!) Somehow this comment became a novel...I should go now. :)
This is funny to me. :) I have a cat and a dog, and two children. I am not a dog person, but my husband had one before me, so 12 years later he's still here (the dog, not my husband). I am a cat lover, and even though i have two kids i still love my cat to pieces. and i treat her the same. i love any and all cats, other people's, strays....but i can't say the same for all children. :| i can't help it, some people's children just bug me! so i guess i'm saying you will love your children more than you ever thought possible, but if you're a pet lover, you'll always be a pet lover, even if it takes awhile to get there. ;)
I'm glad you're finally (kinda)getting over Bouncer biting you... it's only been 20 years!! That dog was a dumb dog!!
Maybe you need to start off with a fish and work your way up to a dog. :-)
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...