2.16.2008

Ethiopia, my love


I have no memory of my love for Africa being ignited, but it burns today as it has for many years now. Last August I spent nine days in Pretoria, South Africa working in a village (Soshanguve) with orphans living without parents. It was devastating to my faith and understanding of fairness. I was certain I would return to Africa one day to bring a child home to the States and raise as my own. I adore these small wonders living in the depths of poverty in Africa. Their lives are vastly different from our's. As soon as they are mobile enough they begin working for their families running errands and caring for each other. Their innocent eyes have seen far more suffering and struggle than mine will ever be exposed to, no matter how many mission trips I go on. They are amazing, but more than that they need to know Jesus for what else do they have to cling to? We, in America, have so many things to cling to and claim as our salvation, but the poverty stricken citizens of God's Kingdom have nothing but Him, and in light of that I am humbled.

Today as I was spending time with Kristen, she reminded me of the incredble organization Compassion International. Kristen and Matthew began sponsoring five-year-old Ephraim in Uganda just this morning and upon seeing his beautiful face I couldn't wait to get home and look for my child. What a gift to be able to love and care for a child in Africa now instead of later! So, without further delay, I wanted to introduce you to my new little friend from Ethiopia! Her name is Mekdes, she's a 6 year old Kindergartener being raised by her Mother. Her favorite things to do are jumping rope and running (she's got energy!). At 6-years-old, Mekdes is responsible for carry water and running errands. According to Compassion she has been waiting more than six months for me!

For just $32.00 a month Mekdes will now receive: Regular Christian training, Educational opportunities, Treatment & training to maintain child health, development of self-confidence & social skills, and Key life skills & vocational programs! Isn't that amazing?! All the things we received, without question, growing up are now available to this beautiful little girl because I'm willing to cut corners in my spending (and let's be honest, $32 a month doesn't really constitute big corners). I hope you'll consider sponsoring a child with me so we can talk about our kiddos and share the letters, pictures and stories we hear! I'll be updating everyone on Mekdes as I get to know her.

Isn't she cute?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...