I flew to Austin, Texas this morning (6am flights should be illegal). I'm not sure what I was expecting to experience here that's different from Dallas, but it does seem different. Of course, I'm downtown so that plays a role. I'm here for a conference held by The Medical Institute, a non-profit that studies and researches issues related to sexual health. Its one of the best conferences in our field, so I'm excited to be participating this year. Maybe I'll post some highlights over the next two days... you know, new STD rates and how porn is gripping the lives of millions of people everyday (there's a focus on the porn epidemic this year).
Alright, so here's what I saw when I walked around downtown looking for a good Tex-Mex spot to get my lunch on...
Dozens of groups of young professionals seemingly headed to lunch themselves, but who would know it because they were dressed for the club... or at least a fancy dinner out. The hair and makeup is astounding and since my face was bare when I arrived I felt very strange (most likely just in my own head, though).
A few people on the street as I walked asked for change which oddly made me feel at home since that happens on a daily basis in Boston. However, there were numerous other people on the street who said hello and asked me how I was doing. The first guy to do it I completely ignored and was put out that he would be "cat calling" me at noon on a weekday. It was only an hour later when someone else asked how I was doing after I returned their hello that I remembered I'm in the South! Oh, the glorious South! Almost every employee at the hotel has made eye contact with me and attempted some small talk as I've walked by - these are my people! I've worked so hard in the last couple of years to suppress the part of me that wants to talk to complete strangers (although Boston hasn't completely beaten it out of me) and now I'm in the land of stranger small talk! As I was walking to my room some random hotel guest even said hello and made eye contact and I know this isn't because I'm looking so fine today - they're just polite! A girl on the elevator turned to me immediately and said "I'm from Georgia, any idea if its going to rain everyday this week here?" Ah! I love it.
Finally, the abundance of incredible food can't be understated. I had brisket quesadillas for lunch - yummmm. I also managed to pop into a CVS (you know, just to feel at home) and found a Diet Big Red soda!!! Yes, they were selling it and I'm so happy to have it. If you've never had Big Red, you're missing out. I didn't even remember how sweet and tasty it is - it tastes like bubble gum. I'm also looking forward to having some Texas bbq and at least one or two more encounters with Tex-Mex. I was looking for lunch and thought I found a schlotzsky's (sandwich deli that's SO good!) and after walking through an office building I realized it was a corporate office for them and not actually an eatery... sad days. I'll keep looking, though. I also saw a Sonic on my way from the airport and remembered the daily happy hour half price drinks from 2-4pm. Sonic - COME TO NEW ENGLAND!Alright, I think that's enough for now. I get to stop in Dallas on Thur night to see my family for about 48 hours. I can't wait! Yesterday we signed our lease for the new apartment and with moving day fast approaching I need to get some serious packing done when I get back. Oh! and Gretchen is coming back on the 15th for a few weeks - hooray! I need to spend more time focusing on the things in my life that are uplifting and good.
Wherever you are, I hope you're not melting this week. Wear sunscreen!
8 comments:
I LOVE the South. It's just good stuff. So, here is what my daddy says... and he's always right just for those that are curious. My dad grew up in southern Louisiana and he always called my mom a yankee because she grew up in north Louisiana. So, that's his definition of the South.
So many things to comment about:
1. I speak to strangers on a daily basis, but mostly just women. Ha!
2. I. LOVE. BIG. RED. the diet is good as well if you can handle the after taste.
3. BRISKET Quesadillas...HELLO, two of my favs in one meals.
4. I think that Texas is actually more South-West and anything east of that till Virgina or something is the deep south.
5. Great post and looking foward to a quick visit with you on Thursday!
It's funny, on my way just into the hospital this morning.. probably 3 people smiled and said hello to me.. opened a door, I opened a door. That's a good part of humanity.. that IS great stuff, loving others in simple ways.. thanks for the reminder that I need to appreciate that more!
ps I OD'd on big red years ago.. been awhile, I should revisit that. see you Thurs!
Schlotzsky's!!! I love that place. John and I used to go there every Sunday after church when we lived in Atlanta. They totally knew John and would start making his sandwich when he walked in the door. He didn't even have to order. ha ha!
I know what you mean about talking to strangers. The first year we lived in New England, John especially felt like he was scaring people all the time by talking to them. You can take the boy out of Texas...
You live such an exciting life! So glad you made it back down to the mother land!
okay okay...so many things to say. First. I am going to have to disagree with Leslie on basically everything is the deep south from texas over...no one considers TN the deep south...especially Nashville. I asked my boss who is from Georgia :) and he said South Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Texas...basically the bottom of the states...touching water people.:) But I say anywhere that you go and they say....Heeeeeyyyy Yaaaaaaaa'llll. That is a good indication. I have never had a brisket quesadillas!! That sounds amazing! Oh and I love the bbq pizza from Schlotzsky's! Funny Name. Serious Sandwhich.:) Have such a great time with all of us southerners!! We really are better:)
Hey Liz! I just saw your blog on Kristen's and have been enjoying it! You're so cute! I'm glad you got to pop into Texas for a minute. Hope all is well!
-Shannon (MeGuire) Hellerman :)
haley, i don't know you but i just laughed with recognition at your comment about louisiana. my dad's family is from south louisiana and my mom's from the north...different worlds, but thankfully, at least in my case - same food!
and, though i do miss the southern "stranger congeniality" a bit here in boston, i have to give these new englanders props. they let me out in the street when i need to turn left, the bus drivers let me ride free if i don't have correct change, and people are glad to give you directions (they're used to it...no street signs here, you know). and one more illustration, the guy i bought red sox tickets from (craigslist, so it's legal, right?) didn't bump up the price of the tickets even though the going rates doubled from the time we made a deal. and though i do miss the south, and the friendly eye contact, i think the politeness is just a different strain around here :o)
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...