11.25.2008

Unemployment Chronicles, Day 51

Lots of employment news to share today!

Yesterday I had my phone interview with SWSG. It went really well and I'll know next week if I'll be moving to the final round for an in-person interview with the board. I asked her how many candidates there were at this point and she said 8, but that they started with 90. NINETY candidates and I'm in the top 8! They will select three to present to the board on Dec 15. I really can't tell what my chances are of moving on since I've been baffled at every level thus far. I think I can only say that this process has been completely in God's control and that if this is the job for me, I'll have it. If it isn't where my life will bring him the most glory, then it won't be mine. Plain and simple. Isn't it nice when things are plain and simple?

I will say, though, I was shocked and excited to hear that they had 90 candidates and were still interested in me! That's so wild!

Today I went and met with a woman at a youth development program run through the Salvation Army. They're in need of a substitute teacher for the month of December and a friend of mine in their office recommended me. So, if all the paperwork goes through I'll be starting there next Wednesday. The schedule is pretty great (30hrs/week) so I'll still have time for interviews, etc, if any come up. Its also doing something I love - working with youth. The program is really cool. They have a full curriculum they work through with urban teens that focuses on character building, social skills and communication skills. They're a Christian non-profit, so sharing the gospel is a part of their mission.

I would have a co-teacher and we'd have one class on M T W from 12pm-3pm and then another class on Tu Th from 3:30pm-6:30pm. The T/Th class has a family style dinner together, too. They spend one day of the program each week on classroom curriculum and the other day doing either a service project or doing site visits to interesting places. SO COOL. I'm pumped about working with the teens and really excited about the program itself.

Anyway, its just for December as one of the teachers is out for medical reasons. She did say that if anything else opened up or if she heard of anything she'd connect me if I still hadn't secured a position somewhere. I'm really excited!

So, it was a good day in the land of unemployment! I went and had lunch at the church office after the interview (courtesy of the generous, Elizabeth Joy) and now I'm home working on a consulting project that needs my attention. I'm on the brink of being employed - at least temporarily - and I couldn't happier!

I've also been feeling a little better about Boston this week. A couple of fun weekend events reminded me of my first year here. I know there's more here for me if I want it, so right now I'm going to be patient and see what God has to say about where I live and what I do for a living.

If I don't talk to you beforehand... have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...