You know how people talk about the honeymoon phase? We all know its real. You start something new and all you can see is all the benefits and can't believe you lived without it as long as you did.
That's where I am right now with my new job. :) Wouldn't it be sad if I were anywhere else after just one day?! Okay, so instead of writing a book (too tired) I'm going to give you a list of the things I love about this job already. We can compare this list to another list in 6 months and again in 18. At that point I'm sure I'll have all the same gripes we have about everything once the newness wears off - its annoying, frustrating, inconsiderate, boring, doesn't pick up after itself, and so on...
~Teamwork is key in this office. They began and ended the staff meeting (which they hold weekly on time!) with encouraging stories from the week before and words of affirmation for one another for the upcoming week.
~They run on time! mostly. but still.. mostly!
~My supervisor is a systems person, so she had all kinds of printed documents with schedules and duties for me. This reveals what a dork I am, but I love knowing what's going on and what's expected of me. I was actually giddy in my meeting with her.
~They're big on support and have weekly check-in with the entire staff (staff mtg) and individuals with their supervisors. Oh and they actually have the meetings - they're not just saying they do because they would really like to.
~It is a pretty organized space currently, but they are happy to have me reorganize anything I want to make it more efficient. I already found about three areas I want to revamp.
~They value individuality and everyone finding their own process. This is huge.
~As I was introduced to people a couple of them actually squealed and one even did a little jump up and down in excitement of my arrival.
~I can wear jeans!!! This might be one of the best ones. ha! I mean, on the days when the newness is wearing off I will still be happy to be in jeans at work.
~When I arrived this morning there was a cute little pink plant and a handwritten note to welcome me to the team.
It was a great first day. I couldn't stop thinking (and kind of smirking to myself) about how well God knows me and perfectly he loves me. All these little details - all of them - some I hadn't even articulated before were in place. I'm excited to dive into the work Stand is doing to better education and looking forward to all the opportunities to get to know my coworkers and see God working in me through this experience.
Okay, bedtime. I'm exhausted!!!
2 comments:
this job could be the best birthday present you ever received! thanks for the note. I got it today. hope your Day 2 is even better than the first!
YAY!!! Hopefully the honeymoon won't end for quite some time!
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...