The airport is one of the best places to watch people. Possibly the single best place - proven by the fact that if you look around you'll catch people watching you, too! It is such a weird experience, no? You're all standing around - you ask a question to find out if you're standing in the right line - and suddenly you're an honorary travel buddy. The minute you make it through security you part ways and then make the lonely trek through the crowded terminal seating area as you look for a place to park yourself until boarding. If you're lucky you end up next to someone normal for the flight - today I'm taking a huge gamble because I'm flying on Southwest (aka - seat yourself, first come first serve). I haven't done this in ages, but I imagine it will be a similar scan for "normal" people to sit near -- depending on how you feel it might be a friendly face or someone already asleep that is appealing. Tonight I'm hoping for someone quiet, but uninterested in the window seat so I can curl up against the airplane wall and sleep my way to Dallas. I'm in boarding group B, but I don't know if they start with A or if they go backwards. It is all very anxiety inducing.
The good things about Southwest - they fly into Love Field which is closer to my family. You can check 2 bags for free so if I need to borrow a second suitcase this year I won't have to pay $50 to check it on the return flight. In the back of my mind I keep thinking I'll board the same plane I flew on in middle school complete with orange seats and in need of a good vacuum. Here's to being pleasently surprised!
I'll try to write while I'm in Dallas - the weekend festivities will certainly provide plenty of amusing material as the entire family will be together - the first time in several years! Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...