8.18.2013

Texas Summer Survival Guide: Get Outta Here

When the humidity settled so thickly I could not find it in me to be the least bit optimistic, that is when I look ahead on my calendar with hope for my August and September travel plans.

Last weekend I went to Boston for a dear friend's wedding, and it was an absolutely glorious three days. My first year in Boston was filled with heartache because my Mom died that February, but while I expended the deepest sorrow of my life I also experienced New England with fresh eyes. God kindly gave me exploring buddies and we did everything fun and expected that summer and autumn. Often we would look at each other and exclaim, "this is a magical day!" I cherish the memories of that year, and last weekend was the sweetest reminder of that magic.

After I got my haircut last Saturday (oh yeah, the trip almost could have ended there I was that happy!), a group of friends joined me at Good Harbor beach in Gloucester, MA. Coincidentally, the first beach I ever went to 7 years ago, and one friend (Elizabeth Joy) was there that day and last Saturday, too. My how life has changed since then! We put our feet in the frigid North Shore water, ate candy and Italian ice, and sat and talked for hours. A small group of us ended the day at The Lobster Pool - the coolest place ever! A waterfront restaurant with picnic tables and a firepit for s'mores after dusk. Magical, I tell you.

Tammy at MK Hair Studio in Cambridge, MA is the best!!




Sunday started with in person time with one of my favorite people on earth, Laura Bullock, followed by church at home, and ending with the celebration of Maria and Mike's nuptials. SO.MUCH.FUN.

My church home, Christ the King Presbyterian Church in Cambridge, MA

Reunion with Mary Kate! We lived together with Maria at Pembroke. 

She is married!!! God is so very good.

My last full day, Monday, gave me a chance to catch up with my first boss at Stand who has since become a very close friend. The rest of the day was spent sitting around my old house while friends stopped by to sit around with me.

Rachel and I at the best breakfast joint in Somerville, The Neighborhood. 

Sweet Kim brought me a favorite treat! 

The family I lived with my last 1+ yr in Boston had #3 earlier this year. He is round, giggly, and amazing. 

My love tank is still full a week later. What a life-giving, hope-filled weekend - I am so thankful!

Every person I talked to (including ones I met at the wedding) told me to move back and asked when I was coming back.. and the incredible 75, sunny with a cool breeze weather was so seductive! It was reallllllly hard to leave. Really painful to come back. Really sad to not know what the future holds. But I'll think about that another day... let's not kill the buzz so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...