Have you seen this commercial? I can't even think what it is for, but I get this jingle stuck in my head EVERY time it comes on. In fact, I get most commercial jingles stuck in my head. It is particularly annoying because if you know me you know that I despise commercials. I have a very serious aversion to them. As I write this- CNN at work is playing this pathetic commercial for the "Mobility Power Chair." I suppose this must mean that elderly people are watching what I am watching this morning. CNN Headline News. ha.
I've often been asked why commercials annoy me so much. I don't know that I've ever given it much thought beyond the simple fact that they interrupt my programs. You see, I have A.D.D. -- not with hyperactivity, mind you, but A.D.D none the less. :) When I become engrossed in a program or reading I typically do not take well to interruptions. (If you lived with me in college you know this to be true ;) ) The problem with breaks for me is that I have a hard time getting back into the groove once I've taken a breather. At the core of this issue is that in addition to the attention issues I have- I am naturally introverted.
Did your jaw drop? haha. Well, it is true. I re-charge in solitude, not in groups of people. In fact, I require solitude for daily sanity. I relish in time alone in my head to think, read, pray, and consider the world. At times when I am watching a show I am experiencing a certain amount of solitude. Not in a traditional sense of the word, but I am typically mentally turned in thinking about the show, but often times about other things as well. When the commercial breaks in it jolts me out of my foggy bliss. Isn't that rude?
TiVo changed my life. But only for two years. When I was at home in Dallas we had TiVo (DVR). Oh, this is a genius invention. You can pause the t.v. which was necessary with a small kid in the house who enjoys popping in at any moment to ask a question-- which really is a story in the disguise of a question. :) I never had to be home when a show was on and I could record things I thought I would like, but never actually watch them. When I did sit to watch I could fast forward through the commercials and stick to the meat of the program. Ah- wonderful! If you have never experienced this- you should.
My distaste for commercials is ironic considering all the things I've bought, tried, suggested, and even loved... all originating from an advertisement. I even have a cousin and a close friend from high school that are making a living in Hollywood and at some point have been in commercials (I can't say I hated these ones as it was so fun to see someone I know on t.v.!)
The bottom line: I am a product of my generation, and some days I just can't stand it.
:)
1 comment:
I think that commercial is for Ford trucks. :)
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...