5.04.2006

Anyone Can Act!

Don't believe me? Well, you should come visit my adult education acting class at the Cambridge Center. This is the most random and hysterical group of adults I've ever sat in a room with at one time. The class has been going on for a few weeks now, and last night was a real winner. :)

I got there for the 7:00pm start time with my Dunkin' Donuts hot chocolate in hand. (Yes, it was chilly enough in May here to have hot chocolate!)
The teacher, Stan, was about 25 minutes late, so the older gentleman in the class decided to give us some pointers on getting our careers started. Mind you, I am taking this class for fun- recreation- something to do... not to pursue a career in the industry.


David, the fill-in teacher, was telling us about filling our resumes, getting head shots, and how to pick the perfect monologue pieces. You see, you need a dramatic and a comedic piece. In between nearly every word he said "okay?" but in a Bostonian accent. I'm wondering if any of you can actually imagine this... it sounds more like "ohwwkaey."

Finally Stan arrives! Oh Stan. :) He is about 80 years old with numerous health issues and overall pretty fragile looking. He's a small man in stature as well, possibly 5'1" --maybe taller or shorter, I'm not sure.
Stan is wearing solid black from head to toe with the exception of a zip hoodie sweatshirt the color of the vests the police wear when they're directing traffic. It was fluorescent orange. I actually thought it might glow even in the light! I wish I had taken my camera to class.


About 30 minutes into the class Stan asks me if I prefer to be called Elizabeth or Beth. These were my choices. I said Elizabeth... loudly. He said "ehhh??" I repeated louder- "ELIZABETH!" with a smile on my face, of course. He smiled back and carried on with the class.
Next activity he asked for feedback- I shared my thoughts and he said, "Yes, I like what Beth had to say about that scene." Everyone started to laugh quietly.

Another activity we were discussing and my female counterpart in the class, Beata (pronounced Bay-a-ta), was commenting on my comment and she said, "I agree with what ... ELIZABETH said." haha Stan said, "Oh, I agree Beatra!" She just laughed.
I am now going by Beth in my acting class.
It is my least favorite nickname, but my Grandma Tague calls me that and I actually like when she does. :)

We proceeded to study a scene that ends up throwing out the "F-bomb" and talking about a woman's breasts. I must have been noticeably uncomfortable because Stan said, "Is anyone offended?" and I said, "I am a little.. its very vulgar." He replied.. "I knew it- I knew you were offended, Beth."
Every time he said "Beth" we giggled.

My favorite activity from last night was when we went around the room and pretended that we were roommates fighting over something. We were supposed to argue over something trivial, but have a subtext of something else going on. Beata and I fought about my friends sleeping in her bed when she is out of town, and Luis and I fought about me washing and shrinking his cashmere sweater. It was fun stuff. :) Stan fought with Dylan the Engineer and David the old guy. It was all kinds of craziness when Stan was fighting. He kept yelling and then stopping to smile and say things in what seemed to me like a baby voice. It really bordered on creepy if you ask me. haha

Muscle Head Ken did not show up and hasn't been there the past two weeks either. He also was cast in a play by Stan at the Diversity Theater in Cambridge and did not show to rehearsal on Sunday. uh oh. :( He was a good source of stories, so hopefully he will return!

What in the world am I doing in an acting class? Really? hahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...