3.10.2007

Self Control & Willpower

So I've been working for Healthy Futures about two and a half months now. For those that don't know- this is a non-profit that heads into the public and private middle and high schools to teach kids for one week about relationships.

A big part of our curriculum includes teaching on self control and willpower. We show this clip from an episode of 20/20 where John Stossel talks to the experts and engages in social experiments to illustrate the benefits of exercising self control. The experts in the piece claim that the problem with today's youth isn't linked to their behavior necessarily, but that their behavior is a symptom of a lack of self control. This theory really intrigues me.

I absolutely love teaching this stuff in the classroom. The lessons have often led to my own self evaluation of how I'm doing with these skills. My most recent epiphany shocked and embarrassed me. I practice little to no self control. period. I went through the list of things in my life that I could exercise my willpower and control myself and came up empty. Here's a bit of that list:
Anger- well, I don't hit people or cuss at them. . . but I do get incredibly impatient and annoyed. I also do, occasionally, cuss at other drivers, so I'm not sure I can boast of control here.
Food- I love healthy foods, but I also love unhealthy foods... especially sweets! I realized I had begun eating something sweet after nearly every meal.
Finances- there's no sugar-coating here... I'm a mess in organizing this area of my life right now. Clearly lacking discipline.
Gossip- As a Christian I've found all kinds of ways to rationalize gossip into something distorted and sick, but the truth is I'm a gossip and always have been. I may not spill your business all over the place, but I do talk about people behind their backs.

Oh... the list could go on as I'm entirely self-addicted and sinful.
The point is that in looking through all these things I started to see this common thread... self control. In each instance I realize these behaviors/habits are unhealthy and destructive in some cases, but I choose to do them anyway.


In our lesson we tell the teens that if they practice self-control in little ways in their lives it will make it easier when the big stuff comes along, like getting involved in sexual activity. I think about my own singleness and the reality that at some point I will be tempted in these ways, but I've put myself in a position of weakness and defiance to God, really. I found myself wondering if I'd be able to stand the pressure of such big decisions. Research says I won't.

The action step.
So, I've given up sweets. This is step one. It happens to coincide with Lent, so I'll reevaluate at Easter to see if this needs to be a permanent resolve in my life. For now, though, it has been rewarding already.
I have to shamefully admit that I went through withdraw last week. It was terrible- I was so upset and angry and felt like it was silly to worry about such things... all lies to convince me to be give in and give up. I stuck to it and I have to tell you- it has gotten easier each day! I'm finding that the things I'm teaching these teens are actually true. haha! I'm still tempted and I still think about it at least once a day, but I've found healthier ways to handle the cravings. I've started eating more fruit, for instance. At this moment I'm munching on some grapes instead of tearing into the Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies on our kitchen table.

The great thing about this is that in all of it my eyes have been open to my sinful attitude toward excess and sin, in general. I've been spending more time allowing God to shine light in these dark corners of my heart. Writing this post isn't easy as I'm claiming all these sin patterns in my life, but I have a feeling people can relate in some ways, if not all.

I'll keep you posted on my personal experiment in self-control, but I challenge you to find something in your life you could use to exercise your self-control muscle. :)

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Thanks for sharing, Biz! And, you are not alone. I'll pray you stay with it, whether removing things permanently from you live or exercising more moderation. Love you, and happy (almost) birthday!

Lindsay Lou said...

Biz! Glad to see your post! I think we are all in your same boat with the self control issue. I just hope we can conquer it before it tips over!

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...