4.04.2007

sick days & Passion Week

As Passion Week began on Sunday I was struck with the flu. Yes, quite a lovely way to spend the week before Easter. In truth, I could say that all my complaining and groaning in the last three days should have humbled me in reflecting on Christ suffering on the cross. Unfortunately that thought did not occur to me until just now... so naturally I will think about that the rest of the week while I'm begging God to heal my body.

Have you ever had the flu? The only other time I've been this sick was in the 10th grade. During Spring Show practice (for drill team--which is dancing, not gun & flag throwing) I was doing turns in the gym and just burst into tears. My entire body felt disconnected from me and all I knew was I did not feel well. I was sent home crying where I curled up on the couch moaning that I thought I was going to die. The daycare kids in turn began to cry that I was going to die... and I was immediately sent to my bedroom so my Mom could convince the small children that I was not going to die. I always had a flair for the dramatics.

Every year since then I have gotten a flu shot. Mostly because if I caught the flu it would keep me from seeing my Mom, so it was more for her protection than mine. This year I did not get a shot. It is safe to say that I will never go another year without the shot.

As I've spent countless hours this week in my bedroom staring at the walls or the television I have had so many memories of my Mom. I can't help but think about how lonley she must have felt in the hospital. I've been pretty lonley this week as the hours have felt like days. When you don't feel good but you're trapped in one place time is the enemy. I wish I had realized this a few years ago and spent more time with Mom when she was in the hospital... but as I mentioned in a previous post we're all self-addicted and I definitely could run for President of that club.

Another observation about being stuck at home during the day- the tv programing is horrible. If you can stand to watch soap operas you still have to wait until after lunch for them to begin. If you're up early enough for the marathon morning shows you've got a little entertainment followed by Ellen (which I love) and then the dreaded 11am hour. Rachel Ray & Martha Stewart compete for ratings and I can't stand either of them. I actually might like Martha more. Noonday news comes on and tells you about how the world is coming to an end with all the violence and sex and the afternoon soaps begin. I actually taped General Hospital today so that I could watch it at five after Oprah because all that's on from 5-7 is the same news coverage. I've watched Dr. Phil twice a day everyday this week- he's on at 2pm and 8pm.
My brain is rotting.

The flu makes it really hard to read, so I haven't been able to do anything but sit around like a lump on a log. I just have so much more appreciation for people who are bed-ridden. It's actually really really hard.

I did rejoice a little today that I was stuck inside because it snowed and the roads are messy. Yes, it snowed on April 4 in Boston. Just enough to make things gross again... I'm so ready for winter to end and it didn't even hit us much at all this year.

I believe I'm on the mend and just in time for the dramatic conclusion to Passion Week.
My friend from OBU, Nikki, arrives in Boston tomorrow afternoon. I haven't seen her in nearly 2 years. I'm excited.

I'm most excited about celebrating the resurrection of Jesus! I can't fathom or understand the suffering he endured for my freedom. That he would be forsaken by God and completely alone in death so that I could live eternally leaves me speechless. I don't deserve that kind of love- that passion- but I give praise and thanks for it!
I hope you spend this weekend celebrating and remembering the Lamb who poured out His blood for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...