4.30.2008

So long... Farewell...

Today is the last day of the Polks living in Boston. I was thinking back to this season for us and found some pictures to enhance the story. :)
I visited Boston in Feb 05 and fell in love with the city. It was a quick trip, but with a meal at Legal's Seafood and a walk through the snowy Boston Common past the ice skaters on Frog Pond, I was smitten. All I knew was that I needed to come back for a longer visit... little did I know God would work it out so that my next visit in Oct 05 would be to seek out an apartment!



Kristen left Plano (our hometown) to attend Baylor in Waco and never returned. Over the years we developed a system of communicating that worked for us. Kristen would call on her way home from work (almost daily) and I would talk to her while I was sat in a model home of the housing developer I worked for. She and Matthew would come home to Texas a couple times a year and I would do whatever I could to make sure that I saw them, but also that Jake had the chance to play with Matthew (Jake loooooooves Matthew).

Our system worked and we, Kristen and I, remained very close even though we lived so far apart. I am really thankful for those years because they taught me so many things about friendship. It isn't always easy, but it is always worth it to let people in. So many times I tried to drive Kristen away because, well, she was better than me ... that was the rationale anyway.

Kristen is quite literally like family to me. She has been through it all with my family, and vice versa. In fact, I was reflecting last night that having Kristen in Boston made it so that I was never actually afraid to move here or be here. I never felt that far away from family because I had some here. I did panic just a bit last night that I will officially be without that here, but I know God has placed other very special friends in my life to stand in the gap, and I am thankful!

Other than missing out on more time with Nathanael (& his new sibling!) so that I am their favorite non-blood relative, I think if I'm honest I'm a little bummed at being on the outside again. It felt so crazy to be the one here for all the baby joy, but I can't give God enough praise for that gift.


When I say on the outside, I should explain that all those years away at college and then moving to Boston after presented Kristen and Matthew with a large number of really incredible friendships that I wasn't a part of... I know, I sound childish, but none of you know Elaine & Evie. ;)
They are awesome friends and I spent so much time when I was younger wishing I was making memories and stories with Kristen like they were - so I finally had my time and am trying to be thankful instead of selfish and saying "it wasn't enough!" :)

I should mention that Elaine & Evie live in Dallas and I am working to get over the jealousy I feel that I am in Boston and they will be so close to the Polks. :)
I really do love Elaine & Evie and I'm really glad Kristen will get time near them again, because she's been away from them for a looooong time! There are so many exciting and good things for her in Texas, so I'm glad they're not moving to like Iowa.


Kristen and I have been friends since we were 12 years old. That's like 18 years or something, right? Woah. I haven't counted them in a while.
Her friendship (& Matthew's) has been life changing for me. Their love for me is apparent in so many ways and I am so thankful that I've had the chance to FINALLY live in the same stinkin' city as them and actually do life side by side for a season. I'm thankful I was able to know their life in Boston and enter into their community seamlessly.
What I will miss the most (I keep saying that about different things, I realize) is the ease and comfort of sitting in their living room and receiving advice about my life - insight into the decisions I make - and encouragement unending to just go for it. I will not be without these things when they move, but in reality it will be different.
I can't believe where God has taken Kristen and I. Who knew all those years ago by our lockers in the 6th grade when I was so mad at this girl I didn't know for telling a boy I liked him that one day she would be such an important piece of who I am. God is so good.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Life-long friends are such a blessing! I'm so glad you've had Kristen by your side to experience so much life together. :) I'm excited to see where life takes both of you!!

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...