This weekend our entire church went to New Hampshire for a "getaway." Now, our pastor was adamant that it was not a retreat, but a getaway weekend. What's the difference, you ask?
I have no idea.
We went to a conference/camp facility, had a speaker with sessions and small breakout groups, enjoyed some free time to explore the woods, ate lots of food and slept on beds that made me think of adult-sized changing table pads. Sounds like a retreat to me!
In any case, it was fun. The weather was beyond perfect and just enough trees had turned to make it majestic. I love New England in the fall and not just for the weather, but the trees. It is impossible to capture in a photograph, so you must make a point of seeing it sometime in your life.
So, the hardest part of traveling for me is that I have to sleep with a fan on. This isn't a problem in the warmer months of the year, but when its chilly out people aren't as understanding about having a fan blowing through the night. Because of that (and the fact that a fan takes up a lot of space in your luggage) I typically travel with a sound machine. It has a white noise setting and while it isn't my preference its better than sleeping in total silence - which for me means not sleeping at all. I always ask my bunk mates if they're okay with the sound machine because I realize it can cause a similar sleepless night for those who aren't accustomed. A couple ladies were puzzled by my need, so I offered to turn it down low and put it under my pillow. Why on earth did I offer that!? Terrible idea. I didn't sleep more than 20 minutes through the entire first night. Apparently having a sound machine crammed against your ear isn't as soothing as a fan lulling you to sleep. Not to mention at one point I woke because I had accidentally turned the thing off (NO clue how that happened - I didn't realize I thrash about that much at night).
Night #2 I moved to a giant room that had 56 bunk beds in it with four other women who didn't sleep the night before. We spread out, I found a fan in the bathroom(!), and we all slept soundly. It was greatness.
I had no idea how particular I can be about sleeping. I always think it isn't a big deal to sleep with a fan. I used to feel weird about it, but over the years I've met so many people that do it too I've come to accept it.
I just think there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed. I love my bed, my fan and my space. Is that so wrong?
4 comments:
No, that is not wrong. Hope you get a wonderful night's rest! Long live the fan.
okay, I need names. who thinks it was weird enough that you had a sound machine that they forced you to sleep with it under your pillow. (my words, not yours, of course) It is so not weird. Matthew and I sleep with a fan on year round. I can sleep without it, but I am used to it at my house. My son sleeps with a humidifier on and I'm sure Abby will need some noise, too.
You=not weird. Them=weird.
Adult size changing table pads...I love it and that is a PERFECT description of retreat mattress.
We missed being with you all. Minus the weird.
Count me among the fan sleepers! I feel your pain and frustration and can relate to your sleepless night :)
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...