10.16.2008

Unemployment Chronicles, Day 11

I have done absolutely nothing this week. Granted, I've been sick as a dog. I think I'm finally feeling a little better. Not 100%, but so far (I've only been up for 30 min) much better than the past three days.

I mentioned my second interview that was Tuesday afternoon. I only made it there by the grace of God - and I have NO idea what all I said since I was in a fog of stomach pains. I think it went well, though, which is hilarious and insane. At one point one of the interviewers asked me what I had been doing since my last job ended. It surprised me, but I said, "Well, it's only been a week so I've been babysitting and job searching." He laughed - I guess he thought I'd been unemployed for longer.


When I got home Lydia asked me if I enjoyed interviews. I said yes and she said, "that's what I thought." ha! She asked me if it were possible to interview for a living would I do it? I said it would definitely interest me, but I'm not sure I love them that much.


When my sister graduated from college she did all this interviewing prep and bought a couple books. We spent so much time looking through them and laughing at the ridiculous questions they said might come up in an interview. Here was one we practiced:


Interviewer: If you could be any animal what would you be?

Us: Um, like, I think I'd totally like be Simba. I mean, he's all sweet and cute, but he grows up to be really strong and all that.

We thought we were so funny answering the question based on Disney characters and not actual animals.


Then there's the great "what are you biggest weaknesses" question which you're supposed to give one you can flip and make a positive. Like this:

"Well, I guess my biggest weakness would be that sometimes I can hyperfocus on a project and get fully entrenched in the details and sometimes that means other things might have to wait." --what I'm saying: "I work really hard." ha! These questions are so lame. I wish HR people wouldn't ask them. I wish they'd ask things like, "give an example of a time you experienced conflict at work and how you dealt with it." or "give an example of a time you felt uncomfortable..."


Last night I watched a dvr episode of "The Mentalist." Seen it? I think I liked it. He kept asking these teens if they were a color what color would they be, etc. It was a mental game thing, I think, but I still hate these questions.


Our small group a few months ago did the what animal would you be question and boy were the answers funny. I can't remember what mine was, but I know I said something about it being really pretty and lots of people like them, but it can also be really fierce and dangerous. haha! They still bring it up when I open my mouth without thinking. :)


Alright, obviously I'm feeling a little better because this is the most I've written all week. I hope your week is going well!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

like the new layout!

i am totally blaming the pregnancy, but it took me a looooooooooong time to figure out the connection between the picture and your entry. And I'm not even sure I'm right. I think I am. . .

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...