1.29.2009

Distraction

So, while we all wait and wait and wait for word about this job I thought I'd share a book I started this week and am LOVING.

Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy by Larry Crabb

From the back cover:

"Shattered dreams, "writes Dr. Larry Crabb, "are never random. They are always a piece in a larger puzzle, a chapter in a larger story. The Holy Spirit uses the pain of shattered dreams to help us discover our desire for God, to help us begin dreaming the highest dream. They are ordained opportunities for the Spirit first to awaken, then to satisfy our highest dream."

To help you understand this neglected truth in the deepest and most helpful way, Larry Crabb has written a wise, hopeful, honest, and realistic examination of life's difficulties and tragedies. He wraps his insights around the bold story of Naomi in the Bible's book of Ruth.
As Crabb retells and illuminates this sometimes disturbing and often profoundly touching story, we are shown how God stripped Naomi of happiness in order to prepare her for joy. And we gain an unforgettable picture of how God uses shattered dreams to release better dreams and a more fulfilling life for those He loves.
Shattered dreams have the power to change our lives for good. Forever.
"God is always working to make His children aware of a dream that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream, a new dream that when realized will release a new song, sung with tears, till God wipes them away and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts."

I am in the fifth chapter of this short 200-page book, but I love it. It is giving me incredible insight and perspective on not only my own day-to-day dreams, but even to the bigger dreams that involve desires that God has said are good desires. Realizing that my dreams and dreaming to the highest potential of knowing God more and being secure in his love for me are connected, but very different. Its changing the way I look at my circumstances... all of my circumstances.

Waiting this week for news of this job has been a rollercoaster. I was angry on Monday, Tuesday I had more peace, Wednesday I was tired and this morning I woke up annoyed. As the hours have passed this morning I've found myself feeling more resolved to understand this process as part of God's perfect plan for me. Do I trust God? Yes. So that's all I need and I think if I had found out on Monday it would have been either a big celebration or a huge let down and I'm not sure either would have been focused on allowing God to be the Provider or Comforter. Today I feel more ready to give it to him. I'm tired of the anxiously waiting. Whatever happens I am the daughter of the Most High King and his purposes for my life will not be delayed.

Thanks for tagging along on the journey...

To order a copy of this book: amazon or half.com

1 comment:

Jen said...

I have not read this book, but gave it to my mother a few years back on the recommendation of a good friend. I think I'm going to have to ask Mom if she can find it so I can borrow it. I'll be praying for you!

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...