Every now and then I read up on the Myers-Briggs personality test and am always so amazed at the insight it can bring about myself and others. This time I've been discovering a new perspective on some of my relationships based on how our personalities differ. I have spent more time than I'd like to admit reading online late into the night this week.I used to take the inventory test and come back as an ENFP (Extrovert Intuitive Feeling Perceiving) but then I met Meghann. She has an uncanny ability to guess people's Myers-Briggs. She told me I was an ENFJ (Extrovert Intuitive Feeling Judging) and after reading the two descriptions she was totally right. :)
Here are the highlights about me (& Oprah - she's an ENFJ, too):
- ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture.
- ENFJs are organized in the arena of interpersonal affairs. Their offices may or may not be cluttered, but their conclusions (reached through feelings) about people and motives are drawn much more quickly and are more resilient than others.
- they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people. ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear.
- ENFJ's main interest in life is giving love, support, and a good time to other people. They are focused on understanding, supporting, and encouraging others. They make things happen for people, and get their best personal satisfaction from this.
- they have the ability to make people do exactly what they want them to do. They get under people's skins and get the reactions that they are seeking. ENFJ's motives are usually unselfish, but ENFJs who have developed less than ideally have been known to use their power over people to manipulate them.
- ENFJs tend to define their life's direction and priorities according to other people's needs, and may not be aware of their own needs. It's natural to their personality type that they will tend to place other people's needs above their own, but they need to stay aware of their own needs so that they don't sacrifice themselves in their drive to help others.
- Although they may have strongly-felt beliefs, they're likely to refrain from expressing them if doing so would interfere with bringing out the best in others. Because their strongest interest lies in being a catalyst of change in other people, they're likely to interact with others on their own level, in a chameleon-like manner, rather than as individuals.
- The ENFJ may feel quite lonely even when surrounded by people. This feeling of aloneness may be exacerbated by the tendency to not reveal their true selves.
- ENFJs do not like dealing with impersonal reasoning. They don't understand or appreciate its merit, and will be unhappy in situations where they're forced to deal with logic and facts without any connection to a human element.
Its kind of amazing how accurate these descriptions are of me. Its all a spectrum and of course other things come into play (especially Jesus!) but it is so helpful for me to see parts of myself explained clearly. -maybe because I'm an ENFJ and I want to understand people so badly. ha
Anyway, I love this stuff. If you're not sure what your MB type is and you can't ask Meghann, you can go here.
Tell me your type! On this site you can see what kinds of relationships the different types have with one another.
8 comments:
I took the test again to see if my preferences have changed, and they have a little. I'm ESFJ. (Colin's INTJ & we've been told the J is a good one to share if you only have one in common with your spouse.) The first time I took it in college I was 100% J, that's changed; I've become less anal and particular (Jesus at work in me?!). :) But I still ride the border between E/I. (only 1% E strength preference.) I think this makes me a little crazy sometimes.
I'm FLOORED by how the description fits me! http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=2&c=provider
This was fun! To be reminded of how God made me and how He made others, and how we are all necessary in our various forms! Thanks, Liz.
I did it. :0) ESFP. Sometimes I don't like to do these type test because I come off as flaky, crazy, party girl, attention whorish...and you know, I'm not really going for that in my life. ;) At any rate, I think this explains why we connected! Let's PARTY!!
INFJ, but almost ISFJ.
I'm an INTJ and that has changed. in college, I was straight INTP. and I question whether there's more F in there than the test let on. however, considering how long it took me to take.. I'm going to guess the T is right..
my famous INTJ is Stephen Hawking. so I'm with Leslie in not taking these tests.. only I come across as a reclusive dweeb.
you definitely have to read the descriptions when you're on a cusp and decide for yourself which one sounds more like you. its possible you test one way, but with the borderline tendencies are actually more typically another type.
this is so interesting to read all of yours!
Took the test in 2004, INTP. Just took the test online, still INTP. However, here is the strength of preferences: Introverted 56%, Intuitive 25%, Thinking 75%, Perceiving 11%. And you thought you had me all figured out...
Liz, I took the test LONG ago (I think during premarital counseling) and was INTJ. And yesterday, I asked Meghann and she said, "You're INTJ" without my even saying anything...Hilar. She has a gift. It is fun to see how differently God has made us.
BTW, John is ENFP as far as I can remember...but I think that both he and I have changed our tendencies slightly in our years together.
Fun to think about. Love!
Okay, I am DYING to know... what personality type is this Meghann gal? I am an ENFJ all the way, and I love to guess people's types. I wasn't accurate in the beginning, but with experience and after obsession I am improving.
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...