2.21.2009

My Best Friend

Kristen Anne has been my best friend since the 7th grade. I know most of you have heard about the start of our friendship when I cussed her out in 6th grade, but thankfully she did not write me off eternally. Where would I be without Kristen? I would probably be living in the Dallas area (and probably not a nice part) with my fifth kid on the way, married to a guy who shaves his arms, and still wishing I had gone away to college like all my friends.

Instead, Kristen cheered me on into my own season of leaving home in 2006 when I moved to Boston. That move changed the course of my life. It was perfect timing for both of us to be reunited in the same city for the first time since high school. I still remember my first Sunday visiting Kristen's church as a resident of Mass - so many of her friends greeted me by name and expressed their excitement over my arrival. CTK was home from that Sunday on.

The part of my friendship with Kristen that few people get access to is the way in which we think about one another and how we relate so perfectly. When I say 'perfectly' I do not mean that we are so similar we share a brain - I mean that her differences and mine perfectly fit one another. I love having Kristen in my life.

I've often felt incredibly lucky to have what I've coined 'a Kristen' and wished for one for every gal I love. I know its a special relationship created by God and sustained by Christ. When we laughed in middle school about growing old in a nursing home together I never imagined that it was entirely possible (and likely!) that we would grow old being best friends. What an awesome gift!

Speaking of growing old... it is currently happening, folks. Kristen turns 30 today and I'm glad I'm here in Dallas to celebrate with her (even though she hates having attention like this and therefore is not having any kind of actual celebration for herself - see how we're different? I initiated the planning of my own bash in March. :))

I love you, Kristen! Thank you for the decades of loyal, selfless, and fun friendship! I'm looking forward to celebrating many more milestones with you in the decades to come!

Your BFF,
Liz

ps- check back when I return to Boston for more pictures. :)

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

ahhh Happy Birthday to Kristen! I wish I had one.

Kristen said...

That picture of your life without me makes no sense! You would still be awesome you, just without a non family member 'memory keeper'. With that in mind I am compelled to say that husband of yours wouldn't have shaved his arms, he would have trimmed his legs. ;)

Leslie said...

Happy late birthday Kristen! You both are so lucky to have each other!!!

Gretchen said...

Happy Birthday, Kristen! You both look fabulous in this picture.

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...