4.22.2009

30 isn't old, but...

I'm aging. Sure, we're all aging, but lately I've noticed ways in which my body & personality are different and the only thing I can link it back to is getting older.

The symptoms:
1. I hesitated to get my laptop out to write this blog. It's 10:23pm. Way past my bedtime.
2. A couple of days ago while doing my makeup I thought I had accidentally brushed some makeup into my hair, so I rubbed and pulled on the section to get the makeup off only to realize it wasn't makeup - it was gray hair.
3. I'm starting to enjoy strangers assuming I'm fresh out of college.
4. I can't eat past 8:30pm without getting a tummy ache (this is particularly sad)
5. This winter I've experienced horrible circulation issues in my hands and feet. We're talking numb fingers and toes for hours at a time. Once I'm cold, I'm doomed.
6. I'm cold regularly, although not all the time. If you know me you understand how totally weird this is for me.
7. I only enjoy loud music while working out and in the car, but neither can last more than ~30 minutes without me turning it off or changing it to something quieter.
8. I like the soft rock radio station.
9. I absolutely love Janet Jackson from the 90s. Do teens & college students really even know the REAL Janet?
10. I use my crockpot as often as possible.
11. Downtime alone each week is a requirement. More than one evening is preferred.
12. I'm working on a 30 things to do in my 30s list and things like "learning to sew and garden" are near the top
13. I wore a dress to work yesterday that came to an inch or so above my knee and I felt scandalous.
14. I check the weather a few times a day.
15. I think of great blog entry material everyday, but forget it before I get home [hence the decision to fight past the urge to go straight to bed]
16. Tonight I heard someone say they 'G-chatted' with someone [in the context of a romantic relationship] and it made me want to giggle. -and I grew up with internet dating around me!
17. I can get lost in Target for hours in the housewares department.
18. I miss handwritten letters.
19. I take a multi-vitamin every night.
20. Some of my tv shows are losing their appeal as I watch them and wonder if I can be considered their target audience... I've even been contemplating getting rid of the dvr.
21. I drink black tea and wine.
22. In May I'm in my great friends, Leslie & John's, wedding and after getting the dress and shoes envisioned myself walking down the aisle and looking like that random older cousin your parents forced you to include. [don't worry, Les, I know that's not the case, but it occurred to me that fewer people are getting married around me which makes me older as a bridesmaid :)]
23. I'm trying to come up with a nice round '30' symptoms, but am fighting to keep my eyes open... it's now 10:40pm.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Fabulous post!

Other signs might include:
-no longer getting carded when you by alcohol....this has begun happening to me;
-you think back to how you thought you knew everything at age 20, and you feel so foolish;
-you're appalled at what "kids" are wearing these days;
-"sleeping in" can be used in the same sentence with a time before 9am
-you know what a rotary phone looks like and how it works

Oh, and you can still hand write letters! Friends love to receive them and you may even get a letter back. :)

Kristen said...

are you seriously just now getting gray hairs?! I've had them for years. Not many, but enough.

another sign I'm getting old is that strangers no longer assume I'm young. :( Just last night this guy at the store asked me how many kids I had--I was without them. Now, you don't just throw those kind of questions around to high school looking age kids, do you? Granted, this guy was seriously disturbed...long story...but still.

And honestly, heather, the clothes kids are wearing these days are APPALLING! I swear we didn't look like that a decade and a half ago (woah.) Half our lives ago. (double woah.) 30 is old, y'all.

Biz said...

ha! those are definitely missing from my list, heather! had it been before 9pm i might have come up with a few more. :)

Sarah said...

Last night I went to dinner with the girls at Chili's. The waitress carded Amy (who is my age) for her margarita.. I ordered a glass of wine and looked at the waitress and said "Oh, don't EVEN think about not carding me." And I already had my wallet out and ID ready to go! sad. Some young girl, she was probably a little scared.

Jill said...

No sympathy from me that you just found A gray hair, but I'm with you that 30 isn't old...but oh how things change!!!

Leslie said...

I loved this!!!! You are so on target with all of these things. I know I'm getting older when I contemplated a pill holder the other day! Ha!

Sarah said...

just the other day i met someone at the park who said, "we're about the same age" even though i thought she clearly looked older than me. i told her i was almost 30, not wanting to make her feel bad for such a bold statement, and she said, "yeah, i'm 30." i came home, looked at myself and decided that i look older. when did that happen??

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...