10.18.2009

A Letter Home

Dear Texas,

Things in New England are great! I love living in a bustling city with tons to do year round. I love experiencing seasons, and seeing the beauty in each one. My friends here are great, too. They didn't waste any time when I moved here in snatching me up and making me at home. I know you would love all of them as much as I do. Don't worry, they're taking good care of me.

The food here is great, too. I get to eat all kinds of ethnic cuisine I had never heard of before, and turns out - I like some of it. Don't worry, I only miss Tex-Mex, real donuts, and Willie Mae's cake a few times a month. Sure, it can be pretty sad to have a craving for authentic fajitas only to be served sauteed chicken on a porcelain plate, but they try real hard here, Texas. They don't have many drive-thru windows or easy access anything, really, but you can walk a mile and pass a dozen local spots that serve Thai, Indian, or pizza. Oh and not to mention if you like Dunkin' Donuts, this is the place for you! I don't really like DD, but I appreciate their honest effort to replicate a real donut.

Did I mention the seasons? Yeah, they're pretty spectacular! The summer is amazing here, although this year it only lasted about five weeks because it rained the entire month of June. Usually, though, it is totally awesome. The only season better than summer in New England is autumn. The trees turn to shades you've never seen before, and the crisp air is invigorating. This year, though, fall only lasted about three weeks, but usually it is totally awesome. The winters are cold, but it is one time each year when neighbors interact. No, they don't really chat, but they sometimes help you shovel out your car or leave just enough room at the end of the curb so that your car can't quite fit in the spot. It is quite charming, really. I can't recall springtime, but I think that's because once winter ends it rains for weeks on end and my brain gets quite soggy.

January marks my fourth year in Boston. Oh, Texas, I miss you so! I'm thankful for the time we get to spend together when I visit or you send a delegate to me, but there is no denying that a part of my heart still belongs to you. Please tell Arkansas hello and that I miss them, too!

Love,
biz

1 comment:

Kristen said...

arkansas. haha.

texas misses you, too, liz!

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...