In the course of my adult years there have been a number of natural disasters and other tragedies with catastrophic loss. Hurricane Katrina. Sept. 11, 2001. The Tsunami. and now the earthquake in Haiti... not to mention the other thousands of annual tragedies depicted on the news.
I'm always eager to know what is happening in response to these events, but I can honestly say that I never wonder what the dead bodies strewn about look like and yet that seems to be a popular image captured on-site. Are the American people so desensitized to tragedy that they need the image of someone jumping out of building or a shot of the unclaimed bodies piled on top of one another? Do we need this to give to organizations that will provide direct relief?
I can't help but think about the far reaching ramifications of exploiting these people in the midst of such horrific circumstances.
I'm not saying we don't need images to help us connect at all, but of the dead bodies - really? I will never agree that it is appropriate - right - dignified - respectful - or care-giving to publish images of someone's deceased loved one. It really makes me sick to my stomach.
It also really pisses me off because the only way to access the news without being subjected to these insensitive photos is to listen to the radio.
I can only see that it is about sensationalism and ratings and for that I say, "Shame on you, media vultures!"
Sincerely,
Disturbed & Disappointed
No comments:
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...