Jan. 20th, 2006 - after my incident as shared in the entry below, Kristen acted as ghostwriter for me. Enjoy!
Today, I decided to walk to Target. I checked online and it said 1.8 miles, so I headed in the general direction (I had been here with Kristen a couple of times on visits, so I pretty much knew where it was.)
After about a half an hour I got to McGrath Highway--which by the way, isn't a real highway, but people in this town drive crazy everywhere so it might as well have been. After crossing the "highway" I knew it was coming up....
cut to a half hour later....still walking, no target....I was a little confused but I was still in the city, and I was pretty sure I was going the right direction. I tried to ask a few people for help, but definitely, three people turned their backs to ignore me!!!!! One was an elderly woman with a cane!!! Finally this young guy (future husband? maybe) who was really cute but looked like he might be a little young, rode by on a bike and I flagged him down. At this point I'd been walking for nearly an hour and a half. He was so nice and told me that the target was right near where I was, I just needed to go east instead of south like I was walking. He even offered to ride alongside me for a while, but I noticed that he had on a school uniform fleece and decided it was a little freaky...
Anyway, I kept walking...and after about 10 minutes when I hadn't seen it, I officially started to panic. I called Kristen and her husband Matthew, but they didn't answer--it was the middle of the day and they were both at work.
Then I heard a seagull...actually a bunch of seagulls and I remembered Kristen saying this was fairly common, even inland a bit. I squinted ahead and through these two giant buildings I saw--have you already figured out what an idiot I am?--yes, I saw the Atlantic Ocean. I had walked nearly 12 miles in a weird zigzag kind of pattern to get there. I felt like Forrest Gump. Run, Elizabeth, Run. I know, I'm a total freak.
I do love the ocean, so I pulled out my devotional book and had a nice quiet time and then fell asleep on the beach and took a great nap....I woke up and it was already dark at like 4:45 pm. I could see a group of two or three men huddled around a trash can with a fire burning in it, warming their hands about fifty yards away, so I gathered my things, brushed the sand from my hair and took off running back towards Somerville....I stopped at the first atm I could find, got out some cash and took a cab ($40!!) to my apartment.
And here I am, making up this ridiculous story to freak all of you out....I actually watched Felicity all day and then went to target, in a car.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...