3.23.2013

Home.

I'm on a plane for the first time since I departed Boston for Houston, and I'm joyfully going in the opposite direction. I've been looking forward to this reunion since before I left Boston.

I just finished a book I started many weeks ago, and highly recommend it if you're up for being wrecked. Yes? It's Kevin DeYoung's The Hole in Our Holiness. In the last couple of chapters he really hits it out of the park and has me thinking tonight.

The longing I've felt to go back to Boston and commune with my beloved community is how I should feel about communing with my Savior. Longing to be in his sweet presence - anticipating his kindness, gentleness, and hospitality - eager for his wisdom, challenge, and opinion. I've envisioned this week of being in the company of some of the dearest friends of my life, and always I'm brought nearly to tears from the anticipation - it's like my soul is literally aching and just going to burst with the long awaited relief of loneliness and belonging.

The sad part is that this relief will only last one week, and may not be as sweet as I expect because I know it will end. Why do I not see the communion and friendship God offers me as far more valuable and refreshing? It's really the only relationship that will never end, and in which I can truly release my fear of abandonment.

The book is really good, and that comes from someone who claims to have a bachelor's degree without having completed a single required reading. I'm averse to people telling me to read stuff, so no pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...