11.01.2007

life in motion

I have been reading through a devotional my roommate, Gretchen, gave to me: Streams in the Desert by L.B. Cowman. The daily readings seem to always be exactly what I need to hear that day. Tuesday's talked about running with patience (Heb 12:1).
Here's a snipit from Tuesday:

"Many of us could tearlessly deal with our grief if only we were allowed to do so in private. Yet what is so difficult is that most of us are called to exercise our patience not in bed but in the open streets, for all to see. We are called upon to bury our sorrows not in restful inactivity but in active service-- in our workplace, while shopping, and during social events-- contributing to other people's joy. No other way of burying our sorrow is more difficult as this, for it is truly what is meant by running "with patience."

My life is in constant motion. I suppose I need to praise God for this because the alternative is pretty grim. Even still, there are days (morning really) when I just want to stay in bed and be quiet. I'm sure right about now many of you are thinking, "You, quiet? noooo." It is true. I love solitude. This week I have spent an hour or so in the morning reading (no, not Harry Potter) and in the evenings nearly that responding to emails and catching up with old friends online. I feel a lot better when my days are flanked with these activities. When I sit still... even for an hour.

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but my cousin, Kristin, is pregnant and her son has Trisomy 18. This is a very rare genetic condition that causes stillbirths or a very short life upon birth. She emailed this morning that they are going to induce on Saturday in hopes of Jonathan being born alive. I just want to cry for her. I can't imagine carrying a baby to term only to have to let it go so quickly. My heart aches for Kristin & Jerrod. Please pray for that they would be comforted and that they would get a little time with Jonathan before he returns to our Heavenly Father. Kristin's blog: http://www.jonathanjarededwards.blogspot.com/

One of these days I'll write an entry that isn't depressing. I'm not sure when, but I do have in mind to do it, so hopefully I'll be inspired soon. Having said that, I really am doing well. Life moving and all, things have been good here in Boston. I'm now in a new position at work, Operations Coordinator, which is a significant promotion into management with the organization. The transition has been a little more trying than I had expected, but it is rewarding and really pushing me beyond my limits.

My roommates, Gretchen & Emily, are wonderful. Em's wedding is next weekend - eek! - and we've been tying bows, stuffing goodie bags and attending dress fittings. It has been so much fun to be with her during this prep time, but I know she's ready for the big day! Gretchen took her big test to receive her license for practicing as a counselor and will find out in a few weeks how she did on it. She's been a great friend to me since my move to Boston and I am so so thankful she is staying in Boston!
Last weekend we had our annual fall bash - Pumpplefest. We celebrate the apple and the pumpkin at this gathering by enlisting contest entries for a bake-off in both categories. It was loads of fun and the Red Sox were playing game 3 of the World Series! Gretchen & Emily won the bake-off, along with our friend Elizabeth. I can't tell you how many sweet treats we ladies of Atherton have consumed in the past week. woah.

We didn't get many trick-or-treaters - in fact the ones we got came to the house before I was even home for the evening. :( Last year I went to the Spencer house where two of our church families reside and spent the evening with their kiddos. I definitely need to be with kids on Halloween - it just reminds me of my Mom and all the fall fun growing up. She always loved dressing us up. When we got older, the daycare kids were the focus of our holiday fun. They were always soooooo cute in their costumes! Speaking of daycare kids- the children at the center in my office building came to our office to trick-or treat yesterday. These kids (mostly all Asian) were the CUTEST little people I've ever seen on Halloween. They sang "I love you, you love me" for us and we gave them now & laters -- lame, I know but it was all we had!

Okay, well, looks like I got inspired to update something not so gloomy. Life is good in Boston- even when it isn't. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...