
Birthdays are a funny thing. We're conditioned to make them a big hooplah, but the older I get the more anti-climactic they become. Why is that?
In middle school I begged my Mom to let me have a pool party. She finally agreed and the picture is evidence. You can't even really see me in this photo, but I'm third back on the left talking and laughing with my friends. We were having to much fun. I was concerned the entire day that people follow my Mom's rules so the party wouldn't be ruined. Now I can't remember what they were.
In middle school I begged my Mom to let me have a pool party. She finally agreed and the picture is evidence. You can't even really see me in this photo, but I'm third back on the left talking and laughing with my friends. We were having to much fun. I was concerned the entire day that people follow my Mom's rules so the party wouldn't be ruined. Now I can't remember what they were.
The guy on the far right, Kevin, thought it would be hilarious to ride his bike into the pool... not good. My Mom got really upset and made everyone call their parents and go home thirty minutes early. I was horrified. I was really ticked at Kevin and the idiots who thought his stunt was funny, but ultimately I was so embarrassed of my Mom. I remember standing in the yard waiting for their rides and running my mouth about the stupid boys and my crazy Mom.

Another year went by and I came up with the brilliant idea of having a "Red, White and Blue" themed party. My sisters and I decorated the whole house with streamers, I bought the best outfit I could find (although I'm not in this shot) and Sarah did my hair nice and big. We danced and hung out and I felt like the coolest chick in the world. I don't remember anything scandalous happening at this one, but people talked about it for weeks at school... victory!
Those were good years because my Mom was around to help with the details and make the cake.
As I got older I was less inclined to have a house party, so we took a few of my closest friends to this restaurant in Dallas called "The Magic Time Machine." The waitstaff dress up like cartoon characters and action figures. All the attention on me and I loved it. I'm sure I ended up with a crush on one of the waiters... Batman, maybe? Anyway, They made us all hats and put balloons on my ears... and yes, that's Kristen in this pic

In 7th grade I had a joint party with my friend, Allison. It was a dance party at the clubhouse of my Dad's apartment complex. That night some of the girls spent the night and we went to the Galleria the next day to spend all my birthday money at Wet Seal. (Sarah did my hair for this party, too-- and there's Kristen in the back to the left like Where's Waldo!) :)
There are few birthdays, however that can top my sweet sixteen. Unlike my classmates, I did not receive my drivers license on my sixteenth birthday. You see, I had gotten caught driving my friend's Mustang convertible rental car over Christmas break, so when March rolled around... no driving for me. Actually I had been "caught" by the police, so it was a little more serious than it sounds. But even though I was in trouble and not getting my license, that didn't stop my Mom and Sarah from going all out for this milestone birthday.
I woke up that morning to the kitchen decorated like this. It was a pink girly birthday wonderland! The kitchen was a common place of decorating on birthdays and this was the big year for me. There was also a cookie bouquet on the table (they are yummmmy if you've never had one!) and among the cookies were some decorated like cars... like this...
My Mom had a great sense of humor. I just imagine her requesting that little detail to make it personal for me.
You can also see her long pink nails and maybe get a sense of how I ended up with a love for nailcare. :)
Finally, my 18th birthday. We went to one of the coolest clubs in Dallas (Club One) -- or at least what I was told was one of the coolest clubs. I went to Express and bought these awesome silver pants and couldn't wait to wear them. The only problem was they were literally vinyl so as I got sweaty dancing they didn't absorb any of it... if you can imagine. The platform shoes I had on were the ones I wore at my high school graduation. I loved this outfit.Birthdays have always been fun for me and this year was no different. After three celebrations (TexMex dinner, day in Newport, RI, and a night out dancing) I feel like I was fully celebrated! Next year, though, as I celebrate the big 3-0 it will be one big party and I can't wait!
Thanks to everyone who has ever made my birthday special.

4 comments:
Ok, I remember every single one of those birthdays..(man, I dont remember the car/police incident!) Mom and I had so much fun doin' that for your 16th. Mom just so adored you.. you were always so sweet and good to her. She bragged about you from very early on.. her sweet Elizabeth, never knew a stranger.. and you just loved on her like no one else. Really like NO one else.
I love the trip down memory lane!!!! You did parties right! I wish I could have been at all of those. Maybe for your big "30"th next year....hehe!
WOW, you got caught by the police!!!! Those cookies made me laugh, and wish that I was eating one of them right now!!!
The silver pants left me speechless, so I'll have to comment another time. :)
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...