I love my Dad.
Today his actions reminded me of the gospel and God's love for us as his children.
I had a debt to my Dad, a big debt, and he forgave that debt without my asking and certainly without my deserving it. I was so overwhelmed that I was brought to tears when we got off the phone. I had called to wish him a happy father's day and he ended up lavishing love on me in the most unexpected way. The gift he gave me in forgiving this debt was so generous and needed that I couldn't even bring myself to express in words my gratitude... it was as if there were no words good enough.
My heart was full and yet I felt so overwhelmed by my Dad's love and how beautiful of a depiction it was today of God's love for me.
God gave his son to forgive my sins as a gift to me when I do not deserve any such gift, especially one of such value and power. There are few things I can say to express my gratitude to God and I although I may try to convince myself that I'm worthy of the gift of eternal life if I'm honest with myself it leaves me broken open and confused by such a powerful love. I'm overwhelmed by God's generosity and provision. That he, time and again, provides in ways I don't even realize I am in desperate need of.
I'm so thankful for my Dad today. I'm thankful for this moment in time when God could show me a tangible picture of how his own outlandish love flows for me.
For those of you who are missing your Dads today because they are far away or perhaps waiting for us in Heaven... I hope that God's fatherly love can fill that hole and comfort you in your sorrow.
2 comments:
Great Post! Love it. I love that last picture of you guys. You could start your own "Brothers and Sisters". I love that show.
I love that show, too! It reminds me of our crazy family dinners when they all get together and then argue. :)
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...