It was pretty weird to move all of the stuff out of Atherton. That apartment has meant so much to me during my time in Boston. In the beginning, it was where my community group was hosted. It was the place I first got to know Gretchen, Emily, Anna Rose, Shannon, Wendy, Sarah, Bria, and all the other women to come and go through the B&B small group. These women walked with me through one of my darkest hours when my Mom died a month after moving to the city. They hardly knew me and yet they reached out. The following year would prove to be deeply painful as I had to turn to them week after week to hold me and carry my burden for me. They were faithful. Countless hours I spent crying on the couch at Atherton giving these women a front row seat into the depths of my despair. They were courageous.
Soon those friendships stretched beyond our weekly gatherings and I began hanging out with Gretchen and Emily numerous times a week. People would often ask me if I lived with them at Atherton because I knew where everything was and always felt comfortable walking in without knocking. They embraced me. They loved me so well.
Gretchen and I were so caught up with the wedding we hardly remembered to find a new roommate! At the wedding reception we got word of a girl named Meghann moving back to Boston from NYC. She had glowing recommendations from some of our closest friends. She turned out to be a far better fit than we had even anticipated. I can't imagine a time when I wasn't friends with her. Gretchen, Meghann and I quickly settled into a normal life together.
I've shed tears this weekend. I've sat in shock at the quick changes around me... and I've been reminded that life happens in the valleys. This is what the guest preacher at church said today. He said our expectations of meeting God on the mountaintops means that the valleys hold despair and defeat God's love. If life happens in the valleys than that must be where God's love is and it must be where he intends for us to be. I don't know have any answers to why that's his call, but I can say from life experience that it is often the case. I spend too much time daydreaming about what next week, next month, next year might hold and too little time daydreaming about eternity. The real relief from the valleys - the real mountaintop of Heaven where life is free of pain, missing and saying goodbye... that's what I should be longing for more often.
7 comments:
Who is that incredibly strong and cute woman holding a chair?
i know, she's cool, huh? ;)
i can't pinpoint exactly why, but this is one of my favorite entries. it is either because of the lack of golden corral food photos or the photo of elizabeth. either way, i loved it!
love that picture of e, too (and thanks to her, by the way, for telling me to sit down...might have been my first official fainting spell!) now comes the fun part...putting everything where you want it. i can help tonight if you need me!
Beautiful entry, Biz! Goodbye Atherton, Hello Pembroke!
dont forget to post final product pics with all that cute furniture. :)
I'm so impressed with all your friends!! There isn't one picture where someone isn't smiling, love it! I'm so excited about this new adventure, especially because I LOVE this new apartment!
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...