7.24.2008

Smoker's Ceiling

I am sitting in the Sacramento airport waiting for Sarah, Jake and my Grandma to arrive from Dallas. It is beautiful here! I think its near the 90s, but the desert heat is incredible. There's a little breeze and is just so crisp outside... even in the heat. Clearly I don't hate heat - I hate humidity.



Alright, so you're probably wondering what's up with the blog title.


I had a connection in Salt Lake City, UT this morning. I've never been there, but from the plane I could say I'd love to actually spend a few days seeing it. It was BEAUTIFUL!!! Breathtaking from the plane. No idea if the city itself is anything to bat an eye at, but the mountains and lakes from above were awesome.

Anyway, as I was waiting for my flight to CA I noticed a little room within the terminal and outside of it was a smokers' sign - it was a smoking room. I couldn't believe it because I thought the entire nation had put smokers on the sidewalk at airports. This room was glassed in, but no door - hello?! As I sat there watching these people run in to get a few drags before boarding a plane I was feeling really judgemental. Even as the thought entered my mind, though, I was reminded of the Cinnabon cinnamon roll I was consuming - I had my own "fix" it just isn't one that will cause lung cancer in the person sitting next to me.





Here's the nastiest part - the ceiling of the smoking room was disgusting. So gross, in fact, that I dug out my camera from my overstuffed carry-on and took a picture. Can you see in the shot the difference between the ceiling in the room and out? (if you click on the photo you can see it bigger) It would be easy to say "I can't believe people smoke when they can see stuff like that." If I were to say that, though, I'd have to turn that microscope on myself and my indulgences in sweets even though diabetes and heart disease kill millions of people a year.



So, lets just say it was an interesting 45 minutes in Salt Lake City...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...