8.05.2008

Do you have a sixth sense?

I know many people who, if I really believed in them, I would say have a sixth sense.


"Kiersten" has an uncanny ability to determine if someone is shady without even having met them. She's a very good judge of character and has time and again proved her sixth sense is in proper working order by warning me that someone is a creep as I defend them relentlessly... only to find out they are, in fact, a creep.



"Gertrude" has the ability to sense when people are upset even when the closest people to them don't pick up on it. She senses other's emotions and is often right on the money.



If design and creativity were a sense then "Maggie" would have that one ALL THE WAY. This gal can make any room look amazing, but the best part about her is how quickly she comes up with simple solutions to things I think are impossible.


*names have been changed to protect the identities of these women.

If I had a sixth sense I think I would have said my knack for directions. I've always been able to return somewhere after having driven there one time. I can easily turn myself around and get back to home base with little frustration. Well... all that was true before I moved to Boston. This place has weakened my navigating powers. It is very depressing. Here are a few highlights of times I've gotten lost in the last 2.5 years.



1. First week in Boston I decided to hop on a bus that "sounded" like it might go in the direction of my home. Nope. It was storming (snow!) and I jumped off and walked a VERY long way to get home because of my bright idea to try a new bus even though a seemingly deranged woman told me I was on the wrong bus.



2. Second week in Boston I attempted to go on a job interview downtown at the State Street building. I got off at South Station and walked almost the entire way down Atlantic Ave until I realized I was going the complete wrong way in pointy toe boots! A nice police man told me how to follow a side street past a Bank of America and a couple Dunkin' Donuts to find my way. Well, if you've ever been to Boston you know that EVERY corner has a BofA and a DD! I eventually jumped in a cab and the guy literally drove me around the corner. I was 30 min late for the interview, about to cry because my feet were throbbing and didn't have time to get change, so I paid him $10 for the ride. TEN DOLLARS to turn the corner. sigh....



3. My friend Kelly and her husband Josh came to visit me and after picking them up at the airport at nearly midnight I realized there was construction in the tunnel and I would have to detour through East Boston. An hour later and on the wrong end of the Tobin bridge I realized I had driven us to Charlestown, not downtown Boston.



4. A few weeks ago Kristen asked me if I could pick up Matthew from the airport near midnight (a trend?) and take him to Watertown. Now, none of my previous stories involve WTown because there are TOO MANY to count. I've been lost in the Cambridge/Watertown/Belmont area more times than I'd like to admit publicly.


Anyway, I got Matthew and headed to the Bermuda Triangle in pouring rain. We're talking verrry low visibility. Dropped him off and instead of turning around on that street and heading out where I came from I tried to do a loop around their neighborhood tofind the main road. Big BIG mistake. After driving nearly an hour in the pouring rain watching buses marked "Harvard" pass me by (yes, it did cross my mind they were headed toward Harvard and I might want to turn and follow them... but then I thought maybe they were headed away and I was headed toward) I found myself on some dimly lit residential road hitting all kinds of pot holes. Finally I realized that even if I called the police I wouldn't know where to tell them to find me. Panic set in and after nearly hydroplaning through a huge puddle (the Bug does float, though) I burst into tears and called the only person I knew could *possibly* be awake and able to help me - Elizabeth Joy. I woke her up.
Turns out I was somewhere in Lexington. (that's far from home for those who don't live here) I got home about 1:30am after picking Matthew up at 11:30pm from the airport. (see map below for the Boston-Watertown-Lexington-Somerville route)


Kristen - don't freak - I know I haven't told you this. I didn't want to admit it. :)


5. On my way home from work today I wanted to stop at a Target that is close to the office. I thought I knew a back way to get there instead of getting on the highway. I was wrong. again.
After driving for a little while I started hearing seagulls and smelling salt water - weird, I was in Dorchester not near the water. Well, actually I was at the docks by the World Trade Center downtown. Yep. Nice one.



So, to redeem myself I have to say that tonight Meghann and I drove to Belmont to buy a new area rug and I didn't make one wrong turn!!! I made it out without getting lost! It was the best feeling!



Boston streets are INSANE. They make no sense. They follow no rules. There is NO GRID. You'd think after living here this long I'd have that beaten out of me by now... maybe it is time to invest in a GPS?




1 comment:

Kim said...

Haha! I had the exact same experience in navigating the Boston area road system. Humbling, to say the least!

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...