Friday afternoon I headed north to New Hampshire to stay the night alone in a friend's cottage on a small lake. The drive was really pretty and I was able to catch up with Kristen on the phone. It was a great way to start the weekend.
I stopped at a grocery store near the lake to get some snacks and drinks for the night then arrived at the cottage by 4:00pm. It took me half an hour of standing in the rain, climbing into an unfinished cob-webbed basement and feeling around for a key hook that was more obviously placed than I had anticipated before I got inside. While fidgeting with the lock a giant bug landed on my arm at which point I screamed, wacked it off and hurried to get the door open. I carried in my two bags, nail kit and three grocery bags for one night with the realization that I am, in fact, a city girl. By 4:30pm I had taken my shoes off, turned off my phone and was gazing out over the lake from the couch. It was a serene view.
I made the decision not to turn my phone back on unless there was an emergency until I was on the road headed home. After accepting that challenge I took it one step further and committed not to get my iPod out either. Total silence. Just me, God and some books.
I was bored within 15 minutes and took a little catnap on the couch as I listened to the rain. It was so calming. I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to actually nap anymore. so sad. After a dinner of cheese, crackers, olives, humus, carrots and hot tea (again, city girl all the way) I settled in with a book I've been trying to finish. From Fear to Freedom by Rose Marie Miller.
I read all evening and finished the night off with a couple chapters from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe before falling asleep at 9pm. I know, I know ... but the reading really wore me out! This morning I spent time reading Galatians, finished From Fear to Freedom, and journaled.
Here's what I learned during my 20 hours of solitude:
1. I live as if I am an orphan. I live like I don't have a Father in Heaven who loves me beyond measure and would die for me.
2. I want to live as a daughter, not an orphan, but I'm scared and don't know how - more evidence of my orphan mentality.
3. I can not build up my record of righteousness to please God and secure my place in eternity. I am judged solely on the righteousness of Christ and what he did for me - I don't have to live in fear of making mistakes and angering God. I am free from condemnation!
4. Likewise I can't earn affection from others and do enough good things to warrant their care for me. This is a particularly difficult one for me as I've spent my life working to earn love.
5. God loves me. He loves me in such a powerful way that I can't even comprehend it in its entirety for it is too great, too deep, too wide and too magnificent for my human flesh to understand.
I wish I could say these things will change my life. I hope they will. I pray they will! I know that I will struggle my whole life with not believing God loves me and not understanding the gravity of what he did for me on the cross, but for today I feel so thankful. I am so grateful for his faithfulness to show me over and over that he loves me. He never grows faint and he never gives up on me.
4 comments:
One thing puzzles me. Why do you say, "I know that I will struggle my whole life with not believing God loves me and not understanding the gravity of what he did for me on the cross"? How do you know? Is God not able to change your heart? To speak to you and bring confirmation where you have none at this time? Don't sell yourself short. Pursue God with all of your heart and give Him the room to make everlasting changes in your life. It is entirely in the realm of possibility, as far as He is concerned!
you're absolutely right. thanks for the reminder!
I think your title should be "God and a person who thinks she is an orphan".
God loves you much more than you can imagine. And I know what you mean about struggling to believe. This is why we need the gospel every day! We won't ever get it to the point that we don't need to hear it a lot.
You can call on me when you need me to preach the gospel to you.
So glad you finished Rosemarie's book.
Love to you!
That sounds like a wonderful weekend to me. What a wonderful and probably much needed time with Jesus.
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...