10.28.2008

Unemployment Chronicles, Day 23

Alright, you all did pretty well with the quiz. Kristen, of course, hit them mostly on the head. The oil tank was because it is cold here AND we don't have oil yet. (still on my to-do list). The chuck sneakers represent my dream about Chuck. Bluebonnets=Texas! My trip home is SIX days away!!! I loved Leslie's guess for the workout guy - you know I love the 80s, but this pic was to express my excitement for having worked out four times last week! Isn't that pic cool of the guy going in for an interview? Speaking of interviews... I've got some news on that front coming up. Last, the food pic - that one is mine. Its from our annual fall party we had on Saturday night - Pumpplefest. It was a nice night and that right there is my pumpkin trifle. If you're in Boston there's still plenty left!

On to the employment news... this is, afterall, the Unemployment Chronicles. After a lot of thought, discussion and prayer I decided to turn down the part-time job I had interviewed for a couple weeks ago. This is the FIRST time I've ever turned down a job. I felt really bad because I wanted to be able to help them out, but the pay was just way too low. It would have required me to work extra hard outside of that gig to make up for it. If I'm going to do admin work I'd rather it not be for a non-profit with low pay that I'll be consumed by. I think I need a break from that.

I had two recruiters call yesterday after finding my resume on Monster. I met with one this morning and she's working on some leads for me. I'm thinking a nice mindless job that will pay great and give me the ability to pursue the Life Coach training is what is needed. I need money to pay for the classes and it will take some time to build up clients, so I think I'm open to working in an office for a little while. Low commitment. Low expectations. Leave at the end of the day without people calling all evening because the car won't start or they want to order pizzas for the teens and need permission.

This recruiter I met with today was really nice. The jumping through hoops (of fire, no less!) means more to me today than when I picked that photo. I had to do a computer test to see what my skill level was for Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. I also had to do a typing test - I type 80 words per minute. I have no idea if that's good. There's something so weird about being tested like this and evaluated so critically. I kept thinking, "Get me an interview! You won't regret it- they'll love me!" I do so much better interacting with people than having them grade me based on my resume and computer scores.

We'll see if she can find me something. Meanwhile I'm still looking, waiting and hoping that it will all come together so I don't have to panic about my bank account.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lettuce talk about it...