Yes, two posts in one day. I told you I like beginnings. :)
I've thought a lot about what constitutes a treat. Should I start by saying I love treats? Well, I do. Some of my favorite treats include a little piece of dark chocolate I forgot I had in my purse, an afternoon iced tea run to get through the end of the workday, unexpected pockets of time when nobody is around, a great parking spot just about anywhere, and having my nails done. Are you with me? Seriously, treats are the best. I was getting carried away with the list and had to stop myself from adding 'freshly cleaned sheets.'
I really don't have any problem treating myself to these little moments of bliss day to day. Instead of arguing these aren't actually treats, I thought I'd create another category of "special treats." Oh yeah, this is serious business. I think the main difference is special treats are rarely pursued without a little sacrifice and possibly a little guilt. Don't get these confused with guilty pleasures, though.
I'm trying to decide what I consider a special treat. I think anything that requires a plane ride, has a substantial price tag, requires a lot of generosity from someone else, or is completely unexpected, but deeply desired could be considered a special treat. For example, having my entire family fly to Boston for Thanksgiving this year - major special treat (that might be another category!) or getting to spend a few days with Gretchen a week ago - very special treat - or the beautiful JCrew coat my roommate gave me which makes me wish it was colder out already... you get the idea.
So, blog friends - what are your favorite treats?
3 comments:
historical scavenger hunts ;)
Tim and Jake should share their special treats together while we get ours at some place that involves shoes and chocolate. Can you imagine such a store? Amazing.
I like all of yours. . .my ideal treat these days is several hours of quiet, outside my home, with a good book and a good drink, typically a latte. It does not happen often, but when it does, yeah. Also, for me, a breakfast eaten out, which always means good mexican style eggs, is a treat. My next super treat is going to be you being in my home for several days this winter and maybe breakfast eaten out every single day!
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...