Why oh WHY did I ask for an intern?
Day 1 and I'm not sure I will survive the next couple of weeks while I drop everything to get this guy up to speed at the same time as not actually dropping anything.
My team has two interns for the summer, and I'm managing one along with my colleague. Today we did a two hour overview of knowledge management and our program. Half way through my intern asked if I always ran these trainings for new interns to which I replied sheepishly, "I just created this PowerPoint last night, so feel free to offer feedback." His response was that he thought it was a really good session and thought I did it all the time. I'm not sure if his brilliance is in the ability to recognize a good trainer or in the ability to blow smoke up the rump of his internship manager on day one. I don't really care - it made my day.
At one point I referred to them as transient employees, and my colleague laughed. It felt like a strange way to use the word, but temp sounds kinda demeaning to me (having been a temp). I mean, they are passing through... I don't have to manage them beyond August... right? RIGHT?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Lettuce talk about it...